Herbal body work & perineal steaming
Herbal Body Treatments incorporate the topical use of plant medicine via various mediums. The skin is the largest organ, and through the bypassing of the digestive system can effectively deliver the properties from a plant directly into the body to achieve the desired result.
Using herbal infused compresses & oils, I create individualised body treatments to support the body through topical application (we can discuss what would suit you best prior to or during your session). Plant medicine works not only on the physical, but the emotional state of a person, so by applying plants in a conscious way we encourage the body to ‘let go’. In doing this the nervous system relaxes, and a clearing of old belief systems, emotional blockages & patterns of behaviour can occur. The very state of release allows us to ‘see our reality’ and effectively release what no longer serves us. The power of plants is subtle yet very powerful.
How can herbal bodywork benefit you?
All sessions can be done within your Naturopathy consult or booked as a separate session. Treatments are relaxing, nurturing, and incorporate herbal belly compresses/wraps, castor oil packing or herbal oil applications. Treatments can help with one or more of the following:
- Calming down the nervous system to relax the mind and emotions (total sensory experience including binding of the whole body if you feel comfortable to do this)
- Supporting liver function for optimum digestion and reduction of bloating
- Constipation relief
- Hormone balance & reduced PMS or painful periods
- Reducing adhesions/congestion in the reproductive system & bowel
- Toning the uterus and internal organs post partum (also available as part of a home visit for new mums).
Perineal steaming has been used in traditional societies for women in many countries – and is done by gently steaming the perineal/vaginal tissue by sitting on a specially designed stool. Herbs are selected to suit your needs, and are added to the steam pot. Sessions are done with care for your modesty – you are covered up from the waist down & left to relax, sip tea & read or listen to music during your session. Steaming helps to soften & nourish the tissue, improving blood & lymphatic flow to reduce stagnation in the pelvic cavity. It is a very pleasant and comfortable experience – the steam is warm but not hot! As a stand alone session this goes for 60 minutes for a new patient.
How can perineal steaming benefit you?
- period issues
- heavy menstrual bleeding
- diagnosed reproductive conditions (endometriosis, fibroids, cysts)
- post birth healing
- menopausal female symptoms (e.g. dry mucous membranes)
When would steaming not be appropriate?
- when you have your period (spotting is ok but not full flow)
- if you have an IUD/implanon fitted
- after ovulation if you are trying to conceive
- active infections in the perineal/vaginal area
- surgical mesh